Saturday, December 21, 2013

The Use of Utopia



                What is a utopia? The question can still be asked even after these three weeks. At the start of the intensive I thought of a definition for a utopia, a good place where people are virtuous and happy. After three weeks, I can still provide that answer, but it does not explain what our utopia is. Our utopia is much more complicated. What does it mean to be happy, what does it mean to be virtuous; these are still questions I cannot completely answer.
                If I have to say what I’ve learned, I’ve learned the role for a question for question without an answer. In attempting to give an answer we become more and more refined. There may not exist one solution to all problems, but there are individual solutions that can be used for other fields. If we don’t create a utopia, we are at least improving the world we live in. Instead creating a perfect world, we improve the hue of our own.
                That is why we can look at so many different examples of utopia that contradict each other and still use them. Each one offers a puzzle piece, and building outwards the puzzle becomes bigger and bigger the image becomes more and more defined. I cannot say what utopia is, but I can say that a utopia is an indispensable tool to improve our world.

No comments:

Post a Comment